Monday, June 1, 2015

We have so little..He makes up the difference

Dear Familia,

Sorry about not getting a group email out last week, things were pretty crazy, and I got wrapped up in writing a letter to President Kahnlien...and boom, before I knew it the time was gone...ha, I think that is how time works in the mission. Last week my rock solid, awesome companion was really having a struggle against herself. She is 26, got baptized 3 years ago, was born in Ecuador, grew up in New Jersey, comes from a super rough background, all of her family members were baptized, but her sister is the only one active in the church. And although she has had more success in the mission (as far as baptisms go) than any other missionary I know, the past week she was having a really rough time. During companionship study she really broke down and told me that she wanted to go home, and that she wasn't making a difference in the lives of our investigators, converts, less actives, members, and that she couldn't even help her own family. It was really hard to see her like that, because she is pretty much my idol in the mission. I think the world of her and I couldn't believe how much Satan was attacking her. We talked a lot, read some scriptures, read some talks, and by the end we decided to study different stories of Christ's life and get to know more our Savior and His infinite love for us. Doing this helped a TON with how my companion was feeling with everything. Something that I love that I learned this week in my study of the Savior's life is how he takes our insufficiencies (no idea how to spell that) and helps us where we fall short. In the Bible there are countless times when Jesus does this but what I studied this week was the story of when Jesus took the bread and fish and multiplied it to feed thousands of people. I love it because it starts off with a lack of something...in this case food...in my case, it's a lack of knowledge, patience, charity, understanding, love, faith (long story short, it's a lack of everything!)  Jesus first asked them to bring what they had...a little bit of bread and a couple fishes. And after the people give all that they have to Him is when Jesus performs the miracle, and provides sufficient food for everyone. As a missionary I often feel that way. That when it comes down to it, I have very little to offer the people, I'm lacking in every area, but if I bring all that I have...if I bring my tiny “loaf of bread and fish", He will perform the miracle and make it sufficient for what the people in Tierras Blancas need. The Savior is waiting to perform the miracle, we just need to give Him what we have first. In the case of the mission, my time, talents, energy, thoughts, and most importantly, heart. Wow, this gospel is AMAZING! 

As far as the updates go on our investigators, the lovely Lira Family has gone on vacation and we haven't been able to have contact with them for almost 2 weeks now...but we have yet to lose hope! They're a family worth waiting for! We have started teaching Natalia and Joselin (sister in laws, who's Mother in Law is a recent convert). They are both married, WAHOOOO, and have cute little hijitos :) We also found 2 "escojidos" Sunday night, "escojido" directly translated means "chosen one", but in Chile missionary lingo it means "someone whom God has prepared to meet the missionaries". His name is Carlos and his wife is Erica. They also are MARRIED!!!! (I have never learned to appreciate married people as much as I have on the mission). They are both sooo good! The wife, Erica, does the little homework part of the pamphlets that we give her and Carlos' friend is a Bishop in Antofogasta! They both are reading in the Book of Mormon and accepted baptism, however, Carlos works in the mines and is hardly ever home, so finding time to teach him is hard, and attending church is also difficult...but thankfully, not impossible.  Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers! 

I love you all and hope you have a fantastic week! 

Love,

Hermana McKenna

Dating Tips for Jack-attack:
Develop every attribute of Moroni! (Alma 11-12, 17)

Fun Facts:
Some guy that we met in the taxi going to District Meeting gave us a lucky rock.

I now LOVE milk!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment